Ed got me this camera construction kit as a gift last Christmas – I thought it was really cool as I love tinkering and love photography (and my camera collection has been growing with a goal of starting to repair vintage cameras), but I hadn’t had a chance to make it yet. I knew I’d want to review it for a blog post… and recently things have been tough and tiring between work, goals and getting ready for Japan.
So Ed and I decided to do a ‘craft together’ date, and I would work on the camera. So excited to get rolling!
It’s nice that the box is nicely organized – though it took me a while to get acquainted with what I had. I was wondering why they didn’t have a part list – turns out it was at the back. Also, they didn’t give how many of each pieces existed… but they were kind enough to supply extra of all of the very small parts (which we discovered pretty early on).
There may have been a lot of cursing involved, as it is tiny and quite fiddly, it was actually rather easy to make. I believe it took me under two hours to put everything together. It required minimal screws, a lot was snap together, although I was worried about something breaking when I had to press, nothing did.
I did have some negative comments too, however. Instructions are minimal and unclear, and often took some problem solving from me and Ed. I also found an error in one picture where it was telling me to put a piece in a way that made no sense. The images are pretty basic and that can be confusing – for example one screw type looks very different in its instruction pictures than in the piece listing and in real life – unless you did check the piece listing, you may use the wrong one.
Here’s a bit of a collage of fiddly bits or interesting thing to note – like it was a good thing I noticed the blue film because it’s a little hidden and there’s no note to remove it!
I got a fair bit of a high in the final steps – you build each individual piece of the camera and then put all of them together in the end, so it feels like it suddenly comes together super fast at the end. It’s also cool to fiddle with the gears and piece to see how the work – seeing the inner workings of is quite interesting.
Once you’ve finished the build, the other awesome thing about this build is that it allows you to customize. There are places where you put faux leather, and they supply three colours (I obviously went for my colour, red) and then they provide some stickers to further personalize (I added some yellow to complement the red).
All in all, if you are able to follow basic image instructions and problem-solve a little, you’ll be fine doing this kit (it does also require fingers that are strong and up for fiddling, I had to ask for Ed’s help a couple time for the former). You may need more than the provided screwdriver – I ended up also using tweezers, needle nose pliers and clippers.
It’s super fun to personalize – so if you have someone younger who likes cameras this could also be a fun family craft!
I will do a follow up post, probably after Japan, on using taking the camera out for a test drive!